The Iowa State Chapter of Acacia Fraternity is a group of 41 active members. We may not have as many members as some of the larger houses with 60 or 70 members, but there are certain advantages and disadvantages to both situations. The big houses overall do have more "man-power" and more dues-paying members which means more resources, but at the same time they lack the consistency that a smaller house can achieve. Most large houses have to give out 25 bids to new members just to maintain their numbers, whereas we have the ability to be more selective and assure that we only give bids to quality guys. For this reason it is not uncommon that we will have more guys participate in Homecoming and Greek Week events than the houses with more members than us. Also, being a smaller house allows each member to have the opportunity to really have an impact on the fraternity and "leave their mark" for the future generations.
We often refer to the location of our house as the "pinnacle" of Iowa State. Our house is no more than 200 feet from campus and only a 5 minute walk to Central Campus and the Memorial Union. Additionally, our house is in the center of the Greek Community and right across the street from sorority circle.
- House amenities include
- Home-like Atmosphere
- Personal Style Bedrooms - NO COLD AIRS
- Desk, Bed, and Dresser provided for each resident
- Mini-fridge and microwave provided in each room
- High Speed Internet and Cable in each room
- Individual bathrooms in majority of rooms
- FREE on-site laundry
- Two 24-hour kitchens
- Formal Dining Room
- Catered Meals
- Full parking lot
- Large HD projector with 7.1 Surround Sound
- Pool and Foosball Tables
Howard C. Pierce, an Acacian from Cornell, is responsible in a large measure for the founding of the Iowa State Chapter of Acacia. During 1908, with the assistance of J.E. Brindley and A.H. Snyder, he undertook the organization of a group of Masons into what was called the "Craftsman Club". After the organization had been in existence for about a year, a petition was presented to the Acacia Fraternity. The petition was accepted and the "Kopf" Chapter of Acacia was installed on March 20, 1909.
Starting at its inception in 1909, the chapter in turn occupied four different residences before settling at its current location on August 1, 1940. For the next 40 years, Acacia prospered and the brotherhood was actively involved in campus activities and had many brothers hold prominent leadership positions throughout campus. However, the 1980s were not very positive for many Greek social fraternities and sororities, and Acacia was not exempt from this. In 1989, the decision was made to close the fraternity at Iowa State and the house was subsequently sold.
Although the chapter was closed, a small group of alumni who cared deeply about the fraternity continued to meet and operate as the "Board of Acacians" with the desire of one day having the opportunity to re-colonize the chapter at Iowa State. That dream became a reality in the spring of 2000 when our chapter was granted colony status by the University and its first new members were initiated that semester. Sixty years to the date, on August 1, 2000, the Board of Acacians bought back the previously-owned chapter house. It was a monumental occasion to be able to bring Acacia back "home" and allow for the next generation of Acacians to experience college life in the same house as their alumni brothers. Many of the alumni still refer to the house as being at 142 Gray Avenue, but due to postal regulations, the house address was changed to 138 Gray Avenue.
The Acacia International Fraternity officially rechartered the Iowa State Chapter of Acacia Fraternity on October 20, 2001.
- Prominent alumni from the Iowa State Chapter of Acacia Fraternity include:
- President Storms
- President Pearson
- Dean Marston - (College of Engineering)
- Dean Stange - (College of Veterinary Medicine)
- Dean Kildee - (College of Agriculture)
- Dean Buchanan - (Graduate College)
- Distinguished Alumni: Beach, Beyer, and Stewart