About the Organization
Alpha Pi Mu was the brainchild of James T. French, who in 1949 was a senior industrial engineering student at Georgia Institute of Technology. Nine men, chosen through their affiliation with the Georgia Tech chapter of Tau Beta Pi constituted the original membership of Alpha Pi Mu. In 1959, full membership in the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS) was attained.
The major significance of Alpha Pi Mu's association with ACHS is that it is the only nationally accepted industrial engineering honor society. Chapters now exist in almost every major university which possesses an accredited industrial engineering department. While academic interests and abilities are required for membership, the society's overall goals are much broader.
The Georgia Tech engineers who led the initial developmental work wanted an organization to provide an inspiration to young students, to provide a common ground on which their outstanding young engineers could exchange ideas, and to provide experiences which could help their future professional development.
There are at present at least 72 chapters in at least 7 regions of Alpha Pi Mu in the United States . It was on March 18, 1976 that a charter was granted to the Gamma Epsilon Sigma Chapter at Iowa State University .
Mission of Alpha Pi Mu
- To confer recognition upon the industrial engineering student who has shown exceptional academic interests and abilities in his field.
- To encourage wherever possible any movement which will advance the best interest of industrial engineering education.
- To further unify the student body of the Industrial Engineering Department in presenting its needs and ideals to the faculty.
- To create a closer student-faculty relationship by bringing together the needs and thoughts of both.
- To assist and cooperate with all organizations and persons working for the interest of industrial engineering.
- To benefit its members by the association and experience that can come from bringing together a group with similar interests, objectives, and abilities.
- To promote the professional welfare of all.
Goals of Alpha Pi Mu
- Recognize top junior and senior industrial engineering students for their academic achievements
- Increase professional development among members
- Promote networking among faculty, graduate, and undergraduate students
- Have fun!