What Is Skills Training?
Skills training is our way of spreading the wealth of climbing and mountaineering information we have as members of the mountaineering and climbing club. Once per semester we hold a skills training program where we teach our members all of the information necessary to be safe in your own outdoor trips.
What Do We Teach At Skills Training?
- Gear: how to safely use climbing gear such as harnesses, ropes, ATCs, helmets and more
- Belaying: top rope belaying and lead belaying, as well as the voice commands
- Rappelling: how to safely rappel and set up an anchor to rappel off of, single length and double length rappel
- Lead climbing and lead anchors
- Trad anchors and trad climbing
- Knots! (figure 8, overhand, bowline, hitches)
- Necessary knots and when to use them.
- And more!
Why Should You Come To Skill Training?
In our skills training we not only teach you all of the skills necessary to do all of these things on your own, we also go above and beyond to make sure that you know the information well enough to be able to teach other people. This way you can take your friends climbing and trust in your own ability to have a fun time and keep your friends safe on trips outside of the club.
Skills Training Trip
In the fall we will take everyone who came to the skills training on a trip with us to use all of the information they were taught. This trip will involve most if not all of the information taught in the skills training and will take place over the course of a weekend. In the past we have gone to Devil's Lake Wisconsin and Blue Mounds Minnesota for the skills trip and done trad climbing, lead climbing, and rappelling while on the trip.